Friday, August 7, 2020

It's Wonderful!

 There is an oldies radio station that I usually listen to which plays music from the 70’s, 80’s, and 90’s, with an occasional song from the 60’s thrown into the air. When I am driving down the road, I can go back in time, remembering those times, and sing along with those words. The other morning, I had to back my car out of the driveway so my wife could leave. Just a few seconds after I started the car, an old Elvis Presley song came on, “The Wonder of You”.

If you have never heard it before, or your memory of the words has gotten dim, here is the first verse:

    When no one else can understand me

    When everything I do is wrong

    You give me hope and consolation

    You give me strength to carry on.

    And you’re always there to lend a hand

    In everything I do

    That’s the wonder

    The wonder of you

While the song is obviously a love song of course, especially considering who sang it, just take the time to listen to the whole song. (YouTube, of course) This first verse is a very powerful declaration of our faith in God. It admits to him that sometimes we are less than perfect (by human standards), that sometimes we really screw things up. Even when we do that, he is still there; he lends a hand and helps us when we stumble, when we fall.

We, each of us, has a friend, someone who is there for us in good times and bad. On those rare occasions, this may be someone who has been there for decades, come what may. Other times, we have a great friend, but with the passing of time, distance, and circumstances, we drift apart. Given that you know yourself best, it may be difficult to know there is an all-powerful, all-knowing, all-loving God who loves us anyway, regardless of what we do, how we live. He even loves those who don’t know him or who deny him. I’m sure there are times when you wonder how he can love you. I know I do. How it must humble us to have someone love us and want to be a part of our lives. God does.

Whether we are faithful followers or one of the prodigals, he is there to give a helping hand whenever we need it. He is there, his hand is out, just waiting for you to reach out and grab it, our wonderful God. Why not make it so in everything you do?

No comments:

Post a Comment